SHEET-PAN CHICKEN SHAWARMA
Feb 3, 2021 | mains
A little taste of the Israel, right in your home! If you want to try your own homemade hummus, check out my recipe here: https://foodhomeco.com/recipes/homemade-sesame-free-hummus/. This recipe can be done sesame-free or be made the traditional way.
- 1 package package Lebanese style pita ,cut in half
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (you can also use chicken thighs)
- 1 tomato ,diced
- 1 cucumber ,diced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Salt & pepper ,to taste
- ¼ cup flat parsley .chopped
- Serve with: hummus, tehina, hot sauce (pick up from grocery store or middle eastern restaurant)
- 2 lemons juiced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cloves
- 1 tsp chili powder or Harissa (optional, I do mine without for the kids)
- Prepare marinade: mix marinade ingredients in bowl or ziplock, add chicken and coat well with marinade. Marinate for minimum 1 hour and up to 12 hours.
- Prepare salad: dice cucumber, tomato and parsley. Put into a bowl, add olive oil, lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. This can be made in advance.
- Heat oven to 425 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove chicken from bowl, place on baking sheet and pour a little bit of the marinade on top.
- Roast until browned and cooked through, approximately 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, allow to rest 2 min, then slice into thin pieces.
- Serve with: pita, hummus, tehina, hot sauce and Israeli salad. When making your pita, make sure to do Israeli salad last or pita will get too soft and fall apart.
Tip - make a large batch of this spice mix and store in labeled jar.
Adapted from: NYT Cooking, Sam Sifton