ONE BOWL Oat Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
May 3, 2020 | desserts, snacks, gluten-free
I completely ran out of flour and wanted to use up ripe bananas, so this beauty was born. All I had was oats, so I decided to throw them into the food processor and ta da I had flour. Thankfully it turned out amazing first time around so I could share with you all right away!
This recipe is made from 100% whole oats, which makes is a gluten-free recipe, so great for all you celiacs out there! Because oats are a whole grain, it is jam packed with fibre, giving it a hearty feel. You can also sub with all purpose or whole wheat flour, but you need to decrease the quantity of flour to 1.5 cups.
Flour is hard to come by right now, but there seems to be lots of oats, so this is a great option to fulfill your banana bread cravings!
If you want to make a double batch, I would recommend wrapping one in parchment, then foil and tossing into the freezer for later.
- 2 ¼ cups oat flour or use whole oats processor first – see notes below
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- ½ cup Sugar
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1.5 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda (not baking powder - not the same thing!)
- 1 pinch sea salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- In a bowl, add banana and mash with a fork until smooth. Then add melted butter, stir until combined. Add the remainder of ingredients, except chocolate chips and stir until batter is smooth. Add ½ of the chocolate chips and stir.
- Line bottom of loaf pan with parchment paper or grease and pour batter into pan. Top with remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for approximately 50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Note, if you are not using a loaf pan (which is deep), the time will be less.
- Let cool before serving!
If you don’t have oat flour, simply put whole oats into food processor and blitz until fine like
flour. You shouldn’t see any oat flakes. Important to measure after processing
• You can sub oat flour for all purpose or whole wheat but decrease quantity to 1.5 cups.
• To get the marbled look, just melt some chocolate in microwave, then mix with 1/4 cup or so of
batter. After pouring batter into a loaf pan, spoon dollops of chocolate batter on top and swirl
with a knife. Then top with your chocolate chips and bake. I highly recommend!