HIDDEN ZUCCHINI CHICKEN + RICE
Jan 24, 2019 | mains, chicken
Hopefully this one will be a home run with the whole fam! You don’t need a side veg with this one, it’s definitely an all in one meal. The brown rice is packed with zucchini, it is so filling! Cooked in chicken broth, there’s so much flavour and moistness. You can totally do it with white rice too, but you may have to alter the cooking time (brown can take a bit longer).
- 4 chicken breasts bone in, and skin on
- 2 zucchinis grated
- 2 cups brown rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp garlic powder 1/2 for the chicken seasoning and 1/2 for the rice
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Season chicken breasts in bowl with: paprika, basil, oregano, garlic powder, salt, pepper. Mix until chicken is throughout coated with seasoning.
- On high, heat olive oil in an oven proof pot and place chicken skin side down. Cook 3-4 minutes until crispy and flip onto other side. Cook for another 2 min to brown other side and remove chicken from pot.
- Add zucchini to pot, along with rice, garlic powder, salt, pepper and chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
- Lay the chicken on top of the rice and cover.
- Bake in oven for 30 min. Remove chicken and set aside on plate, and continue to bake for another 30 minutes. Note: if using white rice, only bake for 30 min total.
- Broil chicken for 3 minutes and serve on top of rice.
Adapted from Tasty Junior
This will make perfect leftovers for lunch the next day! Enjoy!